CLEVELAND, Ohio – Scribbles in my notebook as the Browns track Pittsburgh, 14-13.
1. Pittsburgh took a different approach to attack the Cleveland defense. In the first half, the Steelers ran it 16 times for 88 yards. The Browns struggled to defend the point. Pittsburgh scored on a 1-yard run by Mentor’s Mitch Trubisky and a 5-yard run by Najee Harris.
2. Trubisky was 9 of 13 and passed 109 yards. He linked up with George Pickens for a 36-yard catch, a dazzling one-handed grab by the Georgia Tech rookie.
3. Jacoby Brissett had a strong first half. He was 16 out of 22, passing 134 yards and a couple of TDs. It was like playing against the Jets on Sunday.
4. The Browns finally took on David Njoku’s tight end on the attack. He made a great jumping catch in the end zone for a 7-yard TD. He had seven catches for 69 yards. Amari Cooper caught four passes for 35 yards.
5. Welcome to Cleveland. Rookie kicker Cade York missed an extra point last Sunday in the Browns’ 31-30 loss to the Jets. In the second quarter, his extra-point attempt went off the upright and was missed. Earlier in the game, he scored an extra point.Read:Tim Benz: Steelers have no one to blame but themselves for extra-loud ‘elevator music’ on QB situation
6. The Browns opened with Jack Conklin on a right tackle, the veteran’s first time playing this season. Demetric Felton had sent punts back. He was inactive. Veteran Chester Rogers took his place.
7. The Browns had a special teams breakdown when a Corey Bojorquez point was partially blocked by Miles Killebrew of Pittsburgh. He only ran 25 meters. That gave Pittsburgh the ball at the Cleveland 48-yard line. The Steelers did pick up a first deficit. They built a 49-meter field, but Chris Boswell missed it.
8. In the first quarter, Brissett caught a first deficit on a fourth-and-1 situation. It is the fourth time this season that Brissett has used the QB sneaker for a first down. He is 6-foot-4 a 235 pounds and extremely strong.
9. Brissett’s QB sneak kept the drive alive. Nick Chubb broke free for a 36-yard rumble where he broke at least three tackles. Then Brissett hit Amari Cooper with a laser pass for a 12-yard TD. Chubb had 54 yards on six carries in the first quarter.
More Browns CoverageRead:Cleveland Browns LB Anthony Walker Jr. to miss rest of season with torn quad tendon
Coaches Feeling Pressure Give More Meaning to Browns-Steelers Game – Terry Pluto’s Pregame Scribbles
NFL Quarterback Power Rankings: How Jacoby Brissett, Joe Burrow and Mitch Trubisky Compare After Week 2
How The Browns Can Use Bill Belichick’s Game Plan To Beat The Steelers: Film Review
Why Kareem Hunt should have a big game when the Browns take on the Steelers: Ashley Bastock
Did Mike Priefer Make Browns Special Teams Better or Not?
browns vs. Steelers: Game preview, prop bets and game picks for Thursday Night Football: Orange and Brown Talk
Why David Njoku will score a touchdown for the Browns on Thursday night: Dan LabbeRead:Win vs. Dolphins Can’t Cover Up Worrying Trends for Bengals Offense | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors
browns vs. Steelers: Choices for Thursday Night Football
Avoiding the revenue trap and two more things to watch in Browns vs. Steelers on Thursday Night Football
About Myles Garrett and booing, Nick Chubb and scoring, the player-only encounters and more: Mary Kay Cabot’s Browns take
Watch Nick Chubb, Jacoby Brissett, Amari Cooper and other Browns discuss the Steelers game
Myles Garrett, Joel Bitonio and Jack Conklin are all set to face the Steelers on Thursday night after injuries
Joe Haden to sign a one-day Browns contract to retire them; will be honored at a game this season